Home

SBS 2011: Can’t connect to the remote computer because no certificate was configured

Posted by SteveHardie | On: May 23 2012

Problem:
When connecting to Windows SBS 2011 Remote Web Access, the following error appears when trying to connect to a remote computer.

can’t connect to the remote computer because no certificate was configured

Your computer can’t connect to the remote computer because no certificate was configured to use at the
Remote Desktop Gateway server. Contact your network administrator for assistance.

Solution:
You need to repair the Remote Desktop Gateway (RD Gateway) service in the the RD Gateway Manager management console.

By default, SBS 2011 does not have the RD Gateway Manager management console enabled, The following command will properly install the RD Gateway Manager management console:

dism /online /Enable-Feature:Gateway-UI

Run this command from an elevated command prompt.

Then follow these steps

1. Open the Remote Desktop Gateway Manager from Administrative Tools > Remote Desktop Services.
  2. Right-click your server name and choose properties.
  3. Select the SSL Certificate tab.
  4. Click the Import Certificate… button.
  5. Choose your trusted certificate and click Import.
  6. Click Ok.

RD Gateway Manager - SSL Certificate

note: you may need to assign a different certificate, then reassign the desired certificate to force RD Gateway Manager to take effect

See Also:
How to Install Your Existing Certificate into SBS Essentials

11 Comments

1. TomAce says:

You’re a lifesaver! Had this problem, followed the easy steps, and I’m up and running in RD! :D Thanks!

2. Worked great. In my case the RDP gateway manager was already installed so all I had to do was import the certificate.
    I installed a new certificate weeks ago and everything worked perfectly. Then when I did a routine reboot after some windows updates and I received this message.

3. Brilliant – fix worked perfectly.

Thanks very much for posting.

4. Cheers Steve. Good fix

5. Great fix, has worked for me on a couple of servers.

(some require a reboot after the desktop manager is installed)

Thanks for posting!!!

6. Thanks. This helped me out.

7. Worked for us too. Thanks. Nice one.

8. Chad Hensley says:

Thank you very much. This fixed our issue as well.

9. Ram says:

Thank you. This fix worked smoothly.

10. Marc says:

Steve, this is a great fix. I don’t understand why Microsoft can’t make it this clear.
    thanks,

11. Steve says:

Worked, thanks from one Steve to another!